Way back in 2009, Jim Dorey of the 3D-obsessed blog Marketsaw claimed that Lucasfilm were working on a new trilogy of Star Wars films.
As it happens, he was right.
And tonight, Dorey has published more detail, reportedly from the same source as his original information.
So, assuming that the original story wasn’t just a lucky guess and we’re dealing with somebody who actually has good intel to share with Marketsaw – and there is some question here, we should be clear – then what can we look forward to?
Here are the bullet points:
This mysterious source also lists the names of some directors that were being “bandied about” – Steven Spielberg, Neill Blomkamp, Alfonso Cuaron, Matthew Vaughn, Darren Aronofsky and Joss Whedon.
- The films are reworked versions of what Lucas was planning as far back as when he was making the original trilogy.
- This next trilogy may conflate plot points originally intended to span two trilogies – the second featuring the Skywalker offspring.
- As such, Luke Skywalker is a key character.
- And so are many of “the original trilogy cast” with Han Solo, Chewbacca, Princess Leia, C3PO and R2D2 set to appear.
- Hamill is already locked-in.
- The Empire was not completely destroyed at the end of Return of the Jedi.
- Disney intend “on playing to the cultural significance of that original trilogy.”
- The scripts that have already been written for the live-action TV show “will be absorbed in some way into a TV format.”
- Disney are “all over” restoring the original trilogy.